Oats are a versatile and nutritious food, that can be super filling and delicious! They are high in dietary fibre and contain some protein. They are also high in B vitamins, which means they are great for energy levels and nourishing your nervous system.
You know how much I love my protein (eggs), fats (avocado) and veggies in the morning but I've been craving more carbs lately. If you need a quick and easy breakfast option, give this a try. Prepare it the night before and you set to go!
1/2 cup - 1 cup oats* (this is a small serve - use more if you have greater requirements)
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk - I use Nutty Bruce Activated Almond Milk (use a 1:1 ratio of oats and milk) - for an extra protein boost, make a protein shake with almond milk or water and use this to soak the oats
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon of almonds
1/2 tablespoon of sultanas (just throw in a sprinkle)
(You can add anything you like - cranberries, shredded coconut, nut butters, different types of nuts and seeds - get creative!)
*If oats aren't your thing for whatever reason, you can use quinoa flakes or cooked quinoa
1. Place the oats in a jar (I just use a mug and transfer to a bowl in the morning because I eat breakfast at home)
2. Add all other ingredients and mix together
3. Cover the jar or pop the lid on and place it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, ideally overnight
4. In the morning or when you are ready to serve, add a layer of Greek yoghurt and berries and other toppings you might like e.g shredded coconut, a drizzle of nut butter.
5. Serve right out of the jar